one of our family's goals is memorizing the Word.
we decided to start with the psalms and work our way through the longest book of the Bible and the easiest to memorize (in my opinion because of the poetry).
last year asher read heavenly man, the autobiography of brother yun. asher was 6 years old when he read this book. i have not yet read this book.
asher came away from reading this book so convicted and challenged to memorize Scripture because brother yun has most the books of the Bible memorized. memorizing more of the Word has always been a desire of mine, but my son was the one who really gave me the kick in the pants i needed to refocus my efforts on it.
as a family, we have the 1st 3 psalms memorized... even david my 3 year old. i wish we were going faster through it, but i am honestly content that we are working at it at our slow pace and at least doing it!
one great incentive for our kids is my mom offered to pay them $1 for each chapter of the Bible they memorized. her grandma paid her to memorize chapters, so she wanted to pay her grandkids. what a great way to earn money, right?
while i started in on psalm 4 i found so much truth and encouragement to hide in my heart.
o sons of men, how long will my honor become a reproach? how long will you love what is worthless and aim at deception? selah.
as i was meditating on this passage and praying through the psalm, this section just kept standing out to me.
there is just so so much i can give my time and attention to... so much that can consume me and worry me and steal my affections. while i wish this passage was speaking just to other people and not me, i know it also speaks to me. as much as i long to be fully His, i still have worthless things that steal my affections.
and when it is all said and done and i am standing before Him, face to face and eye to eye, like each one of us will... well, when i am there, what am i going to wish i would have loved? am i going to be happy with what took my affections? am i going to be proud of how i used my time? will i wish i made choices a bit differently?
i am asking the Holy Spirit to help me love what He loves and give myself to those things. with His help, you and i will both grow in righteousness and keep pursuing a walk with Him that will prove us blameless in the end.
let's hide His Words in our heart... He promises that when we do this it will strengthen us to not sin against Him.
still counting gifts to 1000...
431 - 449:
431. beautiful weather.
432. a day sledding in the snow with the family on saturday.
433. my sweet uriah turning 6! can't believe how fast time flies by.
434. warm weather forecast for this upcoming weekend meaning we will have the boys' birthday party outside!
435. God's faithfulness to fill in the gaps in our finances.
436. a warm comfy bed to fall into at night.
437. God's faithfulness even in hard circumstances and even when it is hard to understand.
438. time by myself with God and my Bible when i am really needing it.
439. the offense in the book of matthew that keeps me from my comfort zone in life and keeps pointing me towards the narrow path of walking with Him.
440. a reminder yesterday of what has been on my heart... "he who gives to the poor lends to the Lord."
441. that God knows the unfulfilled desires of my heart and is trustworthy.
442. lately i have really liked ice.
443. the small organic fancy dark chocolate my husband brought home for me on saturday... just because he knows how much i enjoy fancy dark chocolates.
444. so much encouragement while reading the Word of God.
445. the Holy Spirit's activity in my life.
446. broccoli in this upcoming week's csa box!
447. much needed green juice from my juicer - this time it is ginger, lemon, beet, pomegranate, celery, mixed greens juice.
448. the rare times all 4 kids go down for a nap at the same time and the house is quiet in the afternoon.
449. learning how to be a christian mom who raises her kids to know the Lord.
i am linked up at a holy experience. i would love to hear from you in the comments below!